This month the Epic Reads Book Club is reading SEPTEMBER GIRLS by Bennett Madison - a YA coming-of-age novel about first love…and mermaids.
About SEPTEMBER GIRLS
In September Girls, Sam is spending the summer in a beach town filled with beautiful blond girls who all seem inexplicably attracted to him. But that’s not the only reason why he thinks the Girls are strange. They only wear flats because heels make their feet bleed. They never go swimming in the water. And they all want something from him.
Sam finds himself in an unexpected summer romance when he falls for one of the Girls, DeeDee. But as they get closer, she pulls away without explanation. Sam knows that if he is going to win her back, he’ll have to learn the Girls’ secret.
Want to give it a try? Click here to start reading the first few chapters.
Why We Chose It For Our Book Club:
- Relatable, realistic teen boy narrator
- Asks important questions about themes like beauty, femininity, and sexuality
- Fascinating reimagining of mermaid mythology
- Gorgeous, lyrical writing
Ideas for your book club meeting:
- Movie night: Watch a classic mermaid film (e.g. Disney’s The Little Mermaid) and compare the portrayal of mermaid mythology in it and September Girls.
- Beach book club: Weather and geography permitting, gather your book club by the water or at a restaurant with a beach view.
This book is 100% quoteable:
“We have heard a lot about ‘love.’ We have a hard time understanding it, but we don’t feel too bad; we have heard that it’s a difficult concept for many people.”
“We’re all afraid of the water. There is an endlessness about it that frightens us, and we know what’s down there.”
“An ocean can swallow you, even when you can swim.”
Will you be joining Team Epic Reads and reading SEPTEMBER GIRLS this month? Let us know in the comments or on our Goodreads group here! Or upload a photo of you reading the book here!
Books we’ve read