In HOW TO LOVE, before Reena falls for Sawyer LeGrande she has one other love in her life – travel writing. She one day hopes and dreams to travel the world and become a professional travel writer. Here to indulge the global wanderer in all of is the author, Katie Cotugno.
Top 10 Places to Cure Your Wanderlust
By Katie Cotugno
1. Sydney: Sydney is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever visited, full stop. I went when I was in high school (and, due to a spectacular error in suitcase-packing judgment, wound up wearing a mismatched sweatsuit for four days straight) and I’ve always dreamed of going back. Preferably with better clothes.
2. Nashville: From the Grand Ole Opry to a dingy, dive-y hole in the wall, there’s a new band to discover every time you turn around in Nashville. Also: Frito Pie.
3. Austin: I never eat as well (orrrr as much) as I do when I visit Austin, which has a huge, thriving restaurant and food truck culture. Tacos! Barbecue! Molten cheese on everything!
4. New York: There’s not much to be said about New York City that hasn’t already been said, but the bottom line is it’s home to me–my family and a lot of my very best friends are there. I always breathe a sigh of relief coupled up with a shiver of anticipation as the train pulls into the station.
5. Red Lion Inn: This awesome hotel in Stockbridge, Massachusetts first opened as a coach stop in 1773. It’s got claw-foot bathtubs, a huge fireplace, and a cat named Simon who hangs out around the place. My parents brought my sister and me when we were little and I still like to get back when I can and sit on the–you guessed it–big red lions chilling outside the front door.
6. Alaska: I’ve never been to Alaska, but from what I’ve seen and read it’s pretty heartbreakingly amazing. The landscape, the wildlife, the people and the food–I’m dying to experience it all in person.
7. Paris: This is another one on the “can’t wait to visit” list. I mean: It’s Paris.
8. New Orleans: I had more fun in New Orleans that I’ve had in any other city maybe ever. The whole city feels like one big party, and the people were so sincerely friendly and great. Also, I ate alligator, which was terrifying in a good way. And admittedly kind of gross and chewy.
9. South Africa: A couple I work with spent three weeks in South Africa last year, and their pictures alone were nearly enough to have me booking a plane ticket. So beautiful, and so green.
10. Madonna Inn: This is a crazy-great, kitschy-hilarious resort in San Luis Obispo, California, where every room is decorated with a different theme: Caveman, Safari, and Yosemite Rock, among many, many others. Throw in a pool, spa, and a hot pink tennis court: seriously, what’s not to like?
Get more HOW TO LOVE!