We here at Epic Reads know that, not hyperbolically, books have the power to change lives forever. It could just be one book that starts a cataclysm of wonderful change, in which your world expands and you see SO MANY THINGS differently. Sounds simple enough, but it is truly profound. The ultimate shock factor that makes a book that much more memorable and important? That moment where you see yourself in a book for the first time. Maybe it’s in a side character or even a main character, but that first time you see yourself represented, in whichever ways matter to you, is a huge moment. Perhaps, for the first time in a long time, you feel less recognized and seen. And suddenly, with that feeling, you also feel a lot less alone.
This is the wonder and power of books and reading: uniting disparate peoples across towns, states, countries, the world! For the author, you never know who your book could reach, whose lives it could change. For the reader, we are always looking for the next best thing that will burrow itself into our hearts forever.
So in honor of Epic Pride Month we’ve gathered some of the biggest YA authors, including Julie Murphy, Adam Silvera, Victoria Schwab, and more, as they speak about the books that meant the most to them growing up that featured LGBTQIAP+ characters. Check out these fantastic book recommendations below, and get ready for your TBR pile to (once again) go up, and up, and up…
Author Book Recommendations featuring LGBTQIAP+ Characters
Find the books featured in this video!
- This is Kind of an Epic Love Story by Kacen Callender
- Darius the Great is Not Okay by Adib Khorram
- Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann
- Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
- Girls Made of Snow and Glass by Melissa Bashardoust
- We Set the Dark on Fire by Tehlor Kay Mejia
- More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
- Juliet Takes a Breath by Gabby Rivera
- All of Us with Wings by Michelle Ruiz Keil
- Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
- We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
- Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy
- Giovanni’s Room by James Baldwin
- Another Country by James Baldwin
- The Tiger’s Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera
- A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White
What are you reading for this #EpicPride month? Let us know in the comments below!