Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to revisit all the important moments of RED QUEEN before the sequel, GLASS SWORD, hits shelves on February 9th! Luckily we’re here to help you out with this recap of everything you need to know about the events of RED QUEEN!
Warning: all of the spoilers below! But if you haven’t read RED QUEEN yet, what are you waiting for?!
First of all, you probably haven’t opened the book in a year so you might have forgotten that this book has some of the most gorgeous endpapers in the world. Here’s a photo to refresh your memory:
Okay, now it’s time for the recap! Let’s rise, red as the dawn!
MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD (Just reminding you again.)
Red Queen Character Roster
Born into a poor Red family, Mare relied on stealing to survive, until the day she gets a job in the palace. As a Red, she is not supposed to have any powers but soon discovers her ability to control lightning. She is disguised as a long-lost Silver by the royal family and becomes a princess. Mare also swears an oath to the Scarlet Guard to take down the Silvers from inside the palace. Princess during the day, secret rebel at night sounds like an awesome gig. What could go wrong?
Memorable Quote: “I have lived that life already, in the mud, in the shadows, in a cell, in a silk dress. I will never submit again. I will never stop fighting.”
The firstborn prince of Norta and future king. Like all the members of House Calore, Cal is a Burner and can control fire. Cal spends some time teaching Mare to dance and kissing her in the moonlight despite the tiny fact she’s engaged to his brother. Brb, going to reread that scene for the thousandth time!
Memorable Quote: “I see a world on the edge of a blade. Without balance, it will fall.”
The second prince of Norta and Cal’s half-brother. Maven is engaged to Mare and convinces her that he’s loyal to the Scarlet Guard but ends up betraying everyone to become king. He’s basically the source of all our agony and we can’t really talk about it right now…
Memorable Quote: “The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain.”
Norta’s resident evil queen. She is a Whisper and can control people by entering their minds and reading their thoughts. She manipulates her way into becoming queen (read more about that in the novella QUEEN SONG!) and engineers the treasonous plot to put her son Maven on the throne.
Memorable Quote: “If you know someone’s fear, you know them.”
The fierce and bada$$ leader of the Scarlet Guard faction infiltrating the Kingdom of Norta. She teams up with Mare in the hopes of overthrowing the Silver rulers and gaining freedom for all Reds. She’s basically awesome and you should definitely read her backstory in the novella STEEL SCARS.
Memorable Quote: “You don’t see us, and so we are everywhere. And we will rise up, Red as the dawn.”
Moments from RED QUEEN you need to know about
- When we first learn about the Scarlet Guard: Mare is at the marketplace when a news broadcast announces that the capital has been bombed by a rebel group called the Scarlet Guard. A video then plays of Captain Farley, with her trademark scarlet bandanna covering her face, delivering the chilling speech inspiring Reds to rise up, Red as the dawn.
- Cal’s Queenstrial: It’s Nortan tradition for girls from each of the Silver High Houses to compete to be the next queen by showcasing their abilities. The winner of Cal’s Queenstrial is Evangeline, a fierce Magnetron who can control metal. But most importantly, this is the moment where Mare falls into the electric field surrounding the arena and displays her ability to control lightning in front of a room full of Silvers. Uh ohhhhh
- Silver Bootcamp: Mare needs plenty of training if she’s going to live the rest of her life as a Silver. Her days in the palace are spent in practice sessions using her new ability, learning the proper etiquette of being a lady, and taking special lessons with Julian, Cal’s uncle. Julian is the one who reveals to Mare that there are other Reds like her, with a mutation in their blood that allows them to develop Silver abilities.
- The Betrayal: Mare and Maven help orchestrate a Scarlet Guard attack on the palace but are captured by Cal and taken before the King as prisoners. But then, HOLY PLOT TWIST, we find out that Maven has been using Mare all along and took advantage of the Scarlet Guard attacks to eliminate his Silver enemies and clear a way to the throne. Queen Elara then forces Cal to murder his own father, aka the King, branding Cal as a traitor. NOT COOL.
- Battle in the Bowl of Bones: Mare and Cal are sentenced to death and must fight off five of the most powerful Silvers, including Evangeline. Mare cannot use her lightning power for most of the battle so Cal vows to protect her as long as he can (awww). This battle scene is beyond epic and Cal and Mare take down three Silvers before Maven calls off the fight and brings in a firing squad. Luckily the Scarlet Guard shows up just in time and sweeps Cal and Mare away to a secret location.
- Shade’s alive! Mare thought her brother Shade died in the war but it turns out he faked his death to hide his ability to teleport and has been working with the Scarlet Guard ever since! This bit of good news makes Mare even more determined to save the people around her by taking down Maven once and for all.
Ahhhhh so much has happened in one book and we cannot wait to see what comes next!
Questions we NEED answers to in GLASS SWORD:
- Why, Maven, whyyyyyyyyyyy??!!
- What will happen to Cal now that he is a prisoner of the Scarlet Guard?
- Who are the other Reds like Mare and what kind of powers do they have?
- Will Cal avenge his father’s death?
- In a world where anyone can betray anyone, who can Mare trust?