It’s no secret we love retellings. Fortunately, there are so many that exist in YA books today, and we could not be more thrilled! We love hearing the evil villain’s backstory where we find out they’re really just misunderstood, or the quiet sidekick’s surprising origin story. We love to dive into semi-familiar worlds full of characters we recognize—only to realize very quickly that everything is most certainly not what it seems, and far from the original story we *thought* we knew. We almost can’t handle the drama!
Join Mitch and Lisa from ‘Is This Real Life’ and special Epic Reads guest Tyler as the three discuss their favorite retelling books and movies, why they love this genre, and more!
Our Favorite YA Retellings
IS THIS REAL LIFE?
Find the books featured in this ‘Is This Real Life’ episode:
- Hello Girls by Brittany Cavallaro & Emily Henry
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi
- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson
- Heart of Iron by Ashley Poston
- My Plain Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand
- My Lady Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand
- My Calamity Jane by Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, Cynthia Hand
- A Thousand Beginnings and Endings edited by Ellen Oh and Elsie Chapman
- A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro
- Sea Witch by Sarah Henning
- Damsel by Elana K. Arnold